Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The New Tattoo


Well I feel like I should update since it has been a while since my last post. Life has been treating us pretty good! Mike finished his last chemo treatment! It was exciting and nice to know that it really was the last time, unlike our other "last treatment." Mike has remained as optimistic and as wonderful as ever. His official semester finished and he has since been working on his finals from December. We have enjoyed all the time we have been able to spend together!
Last Wednesday Mike went down to Mckay-Dee hospital to get everything ready for starting radiation. He called me as he was leaving to come back and I was heading into work to tell me that he was now "hard core." It turns out he feels this way because he now has a tattoo! I am glad it gives him great pride, because I think it looks like a blackhead. It is just a small black dot on his chest that they will align the machines up with for radiation.
This last month I started school on the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN), and I am loving it. I feel like there is just so much to learn and I am really enjoying all the other people in my class. Everyone is so friendly and has such a passion for what we are learning. I need to practice health history consultations, so if anyone is willing to help me out, let me know! I am really excited to be able to help others with their health goals as a certified health counselor once I am done with my program.
Speaking of health goals, it has been one of my goals to run the Spartan Race in July. We are a month away, and I do not feel ready! I don't know what I was thinking! This last month put me back with a foot injury (ever heard of cuboid syndrome?) and a sinus infection that just wouldn't go away. It amazes me that Mike, who has no immune system, has managed to not get sick at all! Anyways, I really have to kick it into gear or I am going to be me hating my life come July 9th! Check out the race @ http://www.spartanrace.com/#ooid=xkbXlnMjqF_DicipGrIMTH7ABXF1oYl9 .
The other thing that has been keeping me busy is my new calling. The Relief Society was reorganized and the same day I found out I was being released I got called to be the YW camp director. What a lot of work! I didn't know at the time that the calling also meant planning a fundraiser. We ended up having a ward carnival, and it actually turned out to be a great success and a lot of fun. Since then I have been trying to put together all the details that come with girls camp. I think it will be a lot of fun, but it will also be nice to have it over with. We care going to Camp Lomia up Logan canyon in 2 weeks!
Last weekend was fun because we went down to Alpine. Mike had planned a campout with his friends and my 5 year high school reunion was the same night. The reunion was really casual, and it turned out to be a lot of fun. It was a great chance to laugh about a lot of past memories. There weren't that many people there, but for the most part the people I would have wanted to see anyway were there. I loved my high school experience and my freshman year of college where, instead of branching out, I became closer to people from Lone Peak. I love the song from "Wicked" called "For Good," it was sung at my graduation, and it perfectly illustrates how I feel about so many of the friends I have made in high school, college, the nursing program, work, wards etc.,
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...
...
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made from what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
So, I have no idea who reads this blog, but I want all my friends that I have failed at keeping in touch with, or our lives have taken us down different paths, to know how much I appreciate them and I am so grateful for their influence in my life. It amazes me what a difference it makes to feel like you have good friends in your life. Yay for friends! Here are some of my random friend pictures I had on my computer!










1 comment:

Laura said...

I stole that nursing graduation dinner picture...super cute. Good luck on your race and school!