Saturday, October 30, 2010

OCK-TOE-BURR

Have I mentioned before that October is my favorite month? Well it is. This month has been a good one, but definitely busy. I have had the chance to work day shifts for the month to get some "day" experience in the ICU. I really love my job and learn so much every day. I was able to take ACLS, which is nice to have done. I have also been doing flu clinics at Wal-mart and Sam's Club. It hasn't been very busy, so it usually consists of a day of "Wal-mart watching" I can't complain. It is easy money.
We were able to spend another wonderful weekend at the cabin with all my Wood family. It feels nice to be able to go and just enjoy my time there. When I was in high school and college I was always fitting in studying and homework. I was also able to go and see my beautiful cousin get her bridals done. I am really excited for her to get married. I take some pride in the success of their relationship because I set them up on the blind date (with the assistance of my sister-in-law Karen). Crazy thing is- it was only in July and they get married in 4 weeks!
Mike had "fall break" which was only one day. Why even call it fall break? Anyway, I wanted to take advantage of it, so I planned a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. Since we have an annual national park pass for a year, we want to fit in as many as we can. We are at 3 since August. It was a great get a way. We had originally wanted to camp but it was actually freezing! We spent Friday in Yellowstone. I was surprised how close it was from Logan. We were inside the park by 11:00 am. We saw the classic geysers, the grand canyon of yellowstone, and animals- buffalo, elk, and even a bear! It was a speedy Yellowstone trip, but it was really nice because the park wasn't crowded.
We ate a fun restaurant in Jackson and spent the night there. In the morning we went to Teton. I decided I really like this park and would love to go spend more time there hiking, climbing, or backpacking. We did a 6 mile to some beautiful falls, and to inspiration point. The leaves were so beautiful. We spent the evening shopping in Jackson before driving back to Logan.
The next highlight of October was the amazing Gottfredson family Halloween party. My sis-in-law and I decided we needed to start an exciting party tradition. I LOVE Halloween. I Love morbid decorations and funky food and the chance to dress up. I even have a Halloween playlist on my Ipod. Well the party was a success. Mike and I were Little RRH and the Wolf. We had great food, games, pictures, pumpkins and ended with my favorite scary movie classic "Wait Until Dark."
Thursday I had my birthday- 22 :) Well it was a great day. I had scheduled other days that week to work so that I could have the day off. Originally my parents were going to come up, but a family emergency changed those plans (see below). Anyway I spent the bulk of the day by myself. Mike made me a great birthday breakfast and then that night we went out for dinner and did some shopping before snuggling up for a movie at home. I am so lucky to have such a sweet husband. We have such a good time together. Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes!
Last Saturday I had a bridal shower in Alpine for my cousin. It was a day that took a quite unexpected turn. My Grandma Adams went into the ICU in the morning and had passed by 3 pm. I felt it was such a tender mercy that I was down in Alpine so that I was close enough to get to the hospital and be there when she passed. It was so hard because it was so unexpected, but for her sake I am very happy it was so fast. She never had to deal with a slipping mind or a sick body. She was very active up until the end.
Today was her funeral. It was beautiful. She was an amazing lady. She is actually my great-grandma. My mom is the oldest of her oldest child and so I grew up with my mom's cousins. She lived in Alpine and was able to support me in school, birthdays, holidays etc. I am so grateful that I was so privileged to know my great-grandma so well. She is a great example to me of service and Christ-like love. I am so grateful for my testimony and that I know that I will see her again!

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you love Halloween! Me too! Great costumes. I can't believe you're only 22... :)

Casey and Alex said...

That's me! I'm that cousin! And I own my marriage to you and Karen :] Gotta love family and visiting teachers!

I am also very grateful that we were able to be at the hospital that day with Grandma and to support Grandpa. It's such a blessing to be a part of such a huge, close-knit family. I thank the Lord for that every single day. Grandma was an amazing woman, and set and wonderful example for all of us as to the lives we should be living. We were so lucky to be as close to her as we were! Not many people get that same opportunity.

Emily Gottfredson said...

Emily! Look how fun your blog is! I'm not much of a blogger person or whatever... but I love yours. And I love that you love Halloween! I've never really liked Halloween, but you totally changed it because of the amazing party you put together! SO FUN! You're so amazing. I'm so glad I have you as a sister :)
Love you!