


Could you keep s straight face?
Well this last week Mike has started to lose his hair. It was't falling out in clumps or anything yet, but it was all over his pillow, the shower, his shirt etc. So when we were at his brothers Sunday night and it was all over their couch, his brother John offered to shave it. Well because all good decisions are made at night, they both "bic'ed" it. I was dying! They shaved just the top off of Mike's head first and it looked SO bad. It was a total George Castanza hairdo. Gross. Ashley, my sis-in-law tried to take some pictures of us acting serious and in love, and I just couldn't do it. He looks much better with all of it off! He has been blessed with a beautifully shaped head in my personal opinion. It was nice of his brother John to shave his head too. When John showed my 3 year old niece Anna and told him that Uncle Michael shave his head too, she asked "But do you think Emily will like it?" I do! I think he looks kind of like Daddy Warbucks

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful family! My mom came up to spend Michael's sick days with me. I have been able to work my schedule so that I have his worst days off of work. It is nice, but then it means I am working my other shifts 3 in a row etc. Although Mike was feeling much better this time he wasn't getting up and out of bed and so it was so nice to have my Mom here to pass the time. We enjoy similar things and so we were able to work on projects and she helped me with some deep cleaning. I was sad that she had to go!

This week I definitely enjoyed another breakdown. It is just so crazy sometime. I know that I am so blessed but I can feel so overwhelmed. Normally I am able to talk over all my stresses with Mike, but it is like I don't want to him to worry about anything. This stupid cancer thing has definitely messed up my "future plans" and I know that part of my trial is just having faith that everything will work out and to not stress over things so far in the future. Because Mike's classes are series classes this means we are going to be put back another year in school most likely. I had just never considered it possible to take 6 years to complete an undergraduate degree! But Mike has such a good attitude about everything. I need to relax about all the little things, but I just always want everything to be "just right." I stress over money, school, the house, dinner, and keeping everything running smoothly.

One day's worth of Insurance statements in the mail!
The week Mike was diagnosed last month I came across the book "Divine Signatures" by Gerald Lund, and I would highly recommend it for anyone that has to go through trials (which is oh, everyone!) It really helps keeps things in perspective. I gave the lesson in Relief Society this month and chose the topic of trials. It is amazing how many tender mercies I have seen already through all of this! Here are some of my favorite quotes...
“ God, as a loving Father, will stretch our souls at times. The soul is like violin string; it makes music only when it is stretched… God will tutor us because He loves us, not because of indifference!”~Elder Neal A. Maxwell
“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God … "~ Elder Orson F. Whitney
“Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation.” ~Pres. Brigham Young
“I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of his tender mercies help us to both discern and acknowledge them… The Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ…"~ Elder David A. Bednar
“The hand of the Lord may not be visible to all. There may be many who can not discern the workings of God’s will in the progress and development of this great latter-day work, but there are those who see in every hour and in every moment of the existence of the Church, from its beginning until now, the overruling, almighty hand of God.”~Pres. Joseph F. Smith
7 comments:
Very few men can pull off the shaved head, and i have to say, Mike is one of them! Those pictures are so funny! They make me laugh :] Those quotes you put on here are all amazing! I was trying to pick a favorite one to comment on and I can't. It's just amazing to me to be able to take a step back and look at life from the outside in, and to see all of the different times the Lord blesses and directs our lives, even if it's not how we thought things would be. He knows best. He's in control, and there is much comfort to be felt in knowing that. We love you guys so much! We need to see you soon!
Emily you and Mike are awesome. I know you say you stress over ever thing but all that I see from you is Strength. I love the quotes you put on there. Trials are not easy but we gain strength and character from them... And you both are doing great with it... I must say I seriously am diggin the shaved head. Not many people can pull it off and Mike is one who can.
I love the pictures, and it is so great to be able to hear the love you have for Mike through your words. We love you guys, even though we don't get to see you often. Blake & Kat Adams
Thinking of you guys often!
Emily, you are incredible! You have the most incredible perspective and you both are an inspiration.
I know I've seen these pictures before, because I took them, but goodness! This is definitely a memory I won't ever forget. Love it!
That hairdo (the George Castanza) is ridiculous, but awesome! Makes me grateful for humor, though I'd have to agree it looks much better all shaved.
Post a Comment