Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time to play


This is the mask he had to wear to bolt his head down during radiation. Plus a certificate of completion!

The last month has been crazy, but so much fun. First of all... MIKE IS DONE WITH TREATMENT! He finished radiation on July 6- happy day. I am so proud of him and love him so much. He is really such an amazing and kind person. ( I think it is one of those opposites attract cases)

Pre-race. Liz and I with her cute baby!
That same week my best friend, Becca *Paul* had her baby! It was fun to go and see visit her in the hospital with her cute baby boy. I had already been down that way in preparation for the Spartan Race. ha ha ha. The race was a 8 mile mud run with 17 obstacles. It was insane. The first half mile was straight up a mountain! Over 1000 ft elevation gain! Additionally it was 11:00 at this point and HOT. Instead of being able to enjoy a gradual decline the rest of the way down we had to go straight back down. Steep enough I found it easier to slide on my behind half the time. Some of the obstacles included, wall climbs, gun shooting, spear throwing, rope climbs, balance beams, a rubics cube, jumping over fire, an army crawl in mud, and ended with "gladiators" trying to knock people down with their padded sticks. You only had one chance on each obstacle and if you messed up you had to do 30 burpees. It was painful! People have asked if I plan on doing it again. Not unless I was way more prepared. I was so grateful my amazing friend Liz was willing to do it with me! It made is so much more fun.


A muddy race! I had great support at the finish lines.
My parents and grandparents came to watch the race.
The next week I was able to enjoy spending time with a friend who came to visit me in Logan. We love visitors! Then the following week we had some family reunions. We spent a couple days in Burley, ID on the Snake river with my mom's side of the family. I love the Adams family and it was fun for Mike to get to know some of them more. I didn't appreciate the nasty mosquitos, but other than that it was great!

At the Adam's reunion. They have a sweet waterslide into the river.
We had to leave that reunion early to go Mike's mom's family's reunion. This is my 4th year going to the Clarke reunion! I can't believe it. Mike and I had just started dating when we went the first year, but I think it definitely sped things up a bit! I love the Clarkes and wish we could have spent more time with them. The reunion was up Logan canyon at Beaver Creek Lodge and it was so pretty up there!

At the Clarke Reunion.
I got home from the Clarke reunion, went straight to work, and then worked the next 3 days in a row. I left work Wednesday morning and we started our drive to California. It ended up being such a fun vacation. It was my parents, my brother, Mike and I. I love spending time with my family because I feel like we spend a good deal of the time laughing. We spent the first day at a great beach. The following day we took a boat out to the Channel Islands. It is a National Park, and so there isn't anything commercial on the island. We were able to go on a hike and then spent the afternoon snorkeling off the beach. We saw schools of fish, star fish, crabs, and lots of stingrays. We also were able to see lots of wild dolphins around our boat on the way over.


The boat ride out to Channel Islands- we hadn't expected it to be so cold!

That night we had an amazing dinner at a friend of my dads and headed back to San Diego. We spent Saturday at the San Diego zoo. It was a really cool zoo. I loved seeing the Pandas, they were always my favorite animal growing up. Sunday we got to spend time with my dad's side of the family. My favorite Stevens cousin, Whitney, came home from her mission to Korea. We got to listen to her speak and stay at her house the following days.


This is where we went snorkeling.
Monday we had amazing seats to The Tonight Show. My Dad's friend hooked us up with tickets. We even got to spend some time in the Green room before the show. (It is the place that the actors wait until it is their time to go on) Leno came out before the show and talked with the audience and he seemed very nice and genuine. Then they had a funny guy "warm up" the audience. The guests of the show were Ryan Reynolds, Sheryl Crow and Matt Nathanson played. I really enjoyed his song "Faster" and we were so close to him.
The boys at the zoo.

We spent our last day in Cali at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I had never been before. I was shocked that we were able to get tickets for CHEAPER than Lagoon! The place is full of incredible roller-coasters. Well I felt very lame because my stomach didn't tolerate them very well. So my Dad and I spent a good portion of the day together on the "moderate thrills" rides while Mom, Mike and Zach enjoyed the crazy roller-coasters. I did manage some of them, but I had to take a break in between to settle my stomach. Overall, it was an amazing trip and it has been an amazing month. Now it is time to get back in to a routine. Mike has a job on campus and is starting to feel the crunch time to get his classes finished. This summer has just flown by!

No comments: