The Issan
We spent the day after we left Koh Chang traveling north to the eastern side of Thailand. It was neat to see the landscape change. This part of Thailand is called the Issan. It a rural province with many farmers. I thought all the fields were beautiful- especially compared to the grime of Bangkok.
We spent the weekend in Buriram. Mike spent 9 months of his mission there serving as branch president, and so he was really excited to go back to his branch and see many of the members again. The people were all so nice.
We were invited to a family's house for dinner after church. The current branch president lent Mike and I a scooter to get around the city while we were there. It is amazing to see entire families on one scooter! When we arrived at the family's house they picked fresh mangoes from their trees. I loved that we were there in mango season!
It was fun to experience a typical family dinner. Notice the water bottles- no one drinks the water in Thailand. Also it is typical to eat on the floor.
During dinner we could hear loud music. The daughter explained that there was a parade going around the neighborhood to celebrate a buddhist boy becoming a monk. We drove over to where we could watch. In this area of Thailand being a white "farang" is unique and so we drew attention. People stopped to dance or take pictures with us and used what little English they knew to yell, "Hello, how are you?"
Going back to the house, the youngest really wanted to ride with Mike. She was a cutie.
Later we met up with another lady Mike had frequently visited. She was so nice and I really enjoyed meeting her, even though any of our conversation was translated through Mike. This is me prior to leaving, with her son. I look like a giant next to all Thai people and can see why I am considered so fat!
Traveling to Buriram was definitely out of the way, and not a typical tourist destination. It was worth it to be able to meet people Mike has spoken of, and to see typical Thai houses and lifestyles.








No comments:
Post a Comment