Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Monkeys!


Lopburi

The city of monkeys-literally. We had come to the city to see the monkeys and to catch the sleeper train to northern Thailand. In the middle of the city there were some ruins and, like the "jungle book", they were overrun with monkeys. They were everywhere on the block surrounding the ruins and then randomly elsewhere throughout the city. 
I quickly decided that these weren't the cute monkeys I imagined. I fell for the typical tourist trap and bought some food from the  monkey lady sitting outside the corner. I hadn't even had time to open the bag before a big mean monkey jumped on me and used his teeth to rip the bag out of my hands. 

After that experience I felt like I could be jumped at any moment. We had our backpacks and all of our stuff with us and so Mike stood guard while I took some pictures. It cracked me up because when a Thai person came along they ran, but when Mike tried to scare the monkey they just got angry back at him. 
One monkey did manage to steal a water bottle from us- the little sneak. 
A few monkeys ended up tipping over the monkey lady's walker and stealing her food. You can see them all with the corn in their mouths. 
It was neat to look up and see all the acrobatics they did as they ran across the power wires. 

In the picture above I think I have counted 27 monkeys. They are taking over! Overall it was a very hot day since we didn't have a hotel to crash at with A/C. The train ended up being several hours late so it meant a lot of waiting...





No comments: