Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Stroke Rehab

On Mike's first day back to school I was sad. I knew I wouldn't be seeing much of him until Christmas break and with my sis-in-law having moved from Logan I felt like I lost my family here. So Mike called me as I was at wandering around Wal-Mart deciding what fish to get to be my new house companion. When he found out I was looking at fish he suggested a more furry critter. Brilliant! I had never considered the possibility. 
That night we headed to PetSmart and I came home with my new best friend. Michael named him Abraham Lincoln and we call him Abey. I held Abey and loved him. Well the next day I came home from work to find that Abey had a bad head tilt and couldn't walk straight! We called PetSmart and they informed us that Abey had had a stroke. Apparently you aren't supposed to hold your new guinea pig for the first few days until it adjusts to its new environment. It can cause a stress induced stroke! I was so sad as we took Abey back to PetSmart. They gave us a refund and said we could check in a few days and see how he was doing and if we still wanted him. 
]
Well by the weekend I was ready to have my critter back! Of course I wanted him. They reported he was healing well and I could take him after I signed a paper acknowledging I had a defective animal :) Well then the lady asked me if I wanted to consider taking the other stroke victim they had in back. (Went home to a 5 year old boy who also "loved" him too much) So I came home with 2 critters! Apparently they are enjoy having a friend and the PetSmart lady says that since they are both "special" they should get a long just fine. 

 The second critter Mike named "Theodore Roosevelt", who we affectionately call "Teddy." They have funny personalities and like to make a lot of noise when I am in the kitchen with them. They still have a residual head tilt, but overall I would say they have made a great stroke recovery. And they are so darn cute! 
(First time I saw Abey asleep like this I thought he was dead. But nope, he just likes to sleep on the cozy fleece)


1 comment:

Dustin and Tricia Bunderson said...

I CANNOT stop laughing!! You are one hilarious girl. Good luck with you and your 'special' stroke victims. I'm sure your impeccable nursing skills will have them healed in no time!