Our first stop was the Salt Flats. Lived in Utah most my life and never been!
We received a grant to do research and so it means that our trip is paid for. There are five girls and one awesome instructor. Last week we stayed at the Golden Nugget casino. Talk about "hiso". We ate at the Rainbow Buffet and in the evening decided to hike to "Jukebox cave."
Jukebox cave is huge, they used to have dances there during WWII during the blackouts. Sadly it is barred off now, but Elizabeth still tried to squeeze in.
While it doesn't really feel like it, it isn't all play and no work. This week we worked with public and school nurses. It was neat to see public health "in action" with all the buzz about the swine flu. This community is very transient from here to Mexico and so many people were worried. We will spend most of our days in the small elementary and high school. Most of the kids are hispanic and there parents are illegal immigrants that have come to work in the casino. They live in trailers around close to the school. I had never been to Wendover before and I was surprised at how podunk and small it was.
I have loved the girls that are also on this great adventure. I had only known Emily from my semester and Aubri, Elizabeth and Lakin are from the semester behind me. Are adventures ranged from "I love carefully" keychains, to cheesecakes, green jell-o pool, and off-roading in the BYU van. They are cute girls and I am already looking forward to our next adventures this week.
Breakfast at the Golden Nugget. I think people wonder as we walk through the casinos in our BYU attire.
1 comment:
all i can say is FUN! no really you probably have the craziest internship ever but who cares looks so fun.
Post a Comment